So when was Moonday anyway? Some websites said Tuesday but one authoritative source called it Monday. I opted for Tuesday. I don’t think it really matters. I had to practice Monday – I couldn’t sleep so what else was there to do at 3 in the morning?

I’ve had a really really rough week. I went to bed at 10:30 Sunday but never fell asleep. I gave up trying at 2:45 am and hit the mat. I had a pretty good practice and then drove into the office. (Guess what? Even the 401’s pretty light at 5:30 am.) Slowly as the day wore on the weariness took it’s toll and I had to pack in work early – around 3:30 pm. I had a massage therapy session booked to deal with some tightness in my left shoulder (14lb baby girl worth of tightness), and while I was in no mood for it, I kept it. It was deep tissue – the hardest pressure I’ve ever known and the first time I have ever come close to asking for it to be taken down a notch. I was macho about it though and persevered. I got up 45 minutes later feeling pretty good but by now totally Cream Crackered (that’s cockney rhyming slang) – realise here that by now I haven’t slept in some 40 hours). I somehow managed to drive home and pleaded to be excused from the fine meal my wife had put together and crawled into bed at 7 pm after a really really hot shower. Mindful of the need to take in a lot of fluids after that freaking massage, I guzzled a couple of glasses and filled a litre bottle for the bedside.

Though I got up frequently to hydrate (and er, the opposite of hydrate), I woke up feeling no longer tired but nevertheless still totally messed up – I had a pounding headache and pain in every corner of my body. Still in bed, I grabbed my laptop from my bag at 8 with the intention of letting people know I was out for the day. But instead, having logged on, I saw the ‘red pile’ in my in basket and felt compelled to wade through it. I struggled with work until noon (still in bed though – amen for high-speed wireless), drinking lots of water and eating just a couple of kiwis and an orange. Finally I packed it in at lunch; I was hungry and made the terrible mistake of eating leftover vegetarian chili. And now, struggling with a stomache ache on top of my other ailments, I took two more extra-strengths and gave notice to the rest of Big Blue that I was done for the day.

I still had the headache. No. I still have the headache. It’s faint now, but let me check…yes…it’s still there. I feel much better though. Really I do. The rest of me has stopped aching. I must have swilled at least 6 litres of water in the past two days. I’m hypothesizing that this was all an intense detoxification.

But I still have no explanation for the Sunday night insomnia – It’s a malady with which I’m unfamiliar. I had a rare cup of coffee on Sunday afternoon. Afternoon! That couldn’t be it eh? Funny that. A few years ago I drank a litre of coffee a day without much consequence (that I could tell anyway) – black without sugar. It was my drug of choice. I gave it up last year (as a statement of commitment to my Yoga actually – coffee being considered rajasic and generally to be avoided). I suffered two weeks of intense withdrawal and then had maybe 10-15 cups all year. This year so far I’ve had maybe 3 or 4 and have found myself enjoying it less and less. I could barely finish the cup on Sunday. Instead I’ve moved to Tea – The very occasional cup of chai (drunk as it is in most Indo-Anglo-Canadian households – in a big mug as though it were coffee), and my new drug of choice, Green Tea – but just one or two small cups tops.

I don’t think I’ll be drinking coffee anytime soon. I’m developing a definite aversion to the substance I once loved. One more aspect of Yoga taking hold perhaps.

3 Responses to Detoxed

  1. C.K. says:

    The moon day was Monday (evening).
    It does matter; they say if you’re injured on a moon day, it takes twice as long to heal. So if you must practice, take it easy.

  2. Andrea says:

    Yes c.k., but it was a new moon. Usually the main risk of injury is on a full moon, when people are said to be headstrong about their practices. New moons usually bring slugishness and a general lack of energy.


  3. Ash says:

    But here’s the thing, the moon’s only slightly less full or new the day after. So how much safer is it to practice the day after Moonday (or for that matter a day before)? Probably not much – the phases, It would appear to me, are a gradient rather than a binary issue.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: